Friday, August 31, 2012

Adventures in Ubuntu land with Ivy Bridge

Recently I got a Intel Ivy Bridge based laptop. Generally I'm quite satisfied with it. Of course installed latest Ubuntu on it. First problem was EFI boot and BIOS had no other options. Best way to work around it was to use EFI aware grub2. I wanted to keep the preinstalled Windows 7 there for couple of things, so needed dual boot.

After digging around this German links was most relevant and helpful: http://thinkpad-forum.de/threads/123262-EFI-Grub2-Multiboot-HowTo.

In the end all I needed to do was to install Grub2 to EFI boot parition (/dev/sda1 on my case) and create the grub.efi binary under that. Then just copy /boot/grub/grub.cfg under it as well. On BIOS set up new boot label to boot \EFI\grub\grub.efi

After using the system couple of days found out random crashes. The system totally hanged. Finally traced the problem to HD4000 graphics driver: http://partiallysanedeveloper.blogspot.fi/2012/05/ivy-bridge-hd4000-linux-freeze.html

Needed to update Kernel. But which one? After multiple tries, I took the "latest" and "shiniest" one: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.4-precise/. With that kernel I got almost all the functionality and stability I needed.

However one BIG problem: headphones. I got sound normally from the speakers but after plugging in the headphones I got nothing. This problem seems to be on almost all the kernels I tried. Then I somehow figured out a important thing related to this. When I boot with headphone plugged in I got no sound from them. When I boot WITHOUT headphones plugged then they work just fine. Of course I debugged this problem all the time with the headphones plugged in and newer noticed this could be some weird detection problem. Since I kind of found solution for this I didn't bother to google it down. And of course Canonical does not provide support for unsupported kernels. If I remember correctly with the original Ubuntu 12.04 kernel this worked, but the HD4000 problem is on my scale bigger one than remember to boot without plugging anything to the 3.5" jack....

Of course my hopes are on 12.10 and don't want to dig it deeper, just wanted to inform you about this one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Check my blog post about Nokia Booklet and use kernel from Quantal: http://mini-thinking.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/ubuntu-1204-in-nokia-booklet-3g.html

With my other machine where I'm running Virtualbox and I had to enable virtualbox stuff from Quantal to have dkms parts working. This I did by few lines to preferences file:

Package: virtualbox* dkms libgsoap2
Pin: release n=quantal
Pin-Priority: 1001